Compiled Reading List
- Weir J. Imaging Atlas of Human Anatomy, 3rd ed . Mosby, 2003
- Fleckenstein P, Tranum-Jensen J. Anatomy in Diagnostic Imaging, 2nd ed . Saunders, 2003
- Netter FH. Atlas of Human Anatomy, 2nd ed . Rittenhouse Book Distributors, 1997.
- www.e-anatomy.org – excellent website with cross-sectional anatomy labeled slice by slice
- Brant, WE, Helms, CA, Fundamentals of Diagnostic Radiology, 2nd ed . Lippincott, Williams & Wilkins, 1999.
- - Great book. Provides a good foundation when starting out and also a great comprehensive review in senior years (rich in text, few pics). This and the primer are a great place to start
- Huda W. Slone RM. Review of Radiological Physics, 2nd ed. Lippincott, Williams & Wilkins, 2002.
- A must read in preparation for the in-training physics exam and the ABR physics exam (if you write it).
- Curry III TS, et al. Christensen's Introduction to the Physics of Diagnostic Radiology, 4th ed. Lippincott Williams & Wilkins, 1990.
- I don't own this. I would use it to help explain topics not understood in the physics lectures.
- Hall EJ. Radiobiology for the Radiologist, 5th ed. Lippincott, Williams & Wilkins, 2000.
- Never opened it and it didn't seem to negatively affect me. Relevant chapters on radiobiology were provided as part of the physics course notes.
- Mitchell DG. MRI Principles, 2nd ed. Saunders, 2003.
- Phenomenal book. Must read this or the next book on the list at least once if you care to understand MRI physics.
- McRobbie DW, Moore EA, Graves MJ, Prince MR. MRI: From Picture to Proton. Cambridge University Press, 2003.
- Manaster BJ, Disler DG, May DA, Sartoris, DJ. Musculoskeletal Imaging: The Requisites, 2nd ed . Mosby, 2002. - Outstanding book. Probably the best of the requisites series.
- Brower, AC. Arthritis in Black and White, 2nd ed . Saunders, 1996.
- Brower is the queen of arthritis. Read this at least twice (and maybe more) over the course of your residency.
- Helms, CA. Fundamentals of Skeletal Radiology, 2nd ed . Saunders, 1995.
- Same content as the chapter in Brant and Helms.
- Yu J. Case Review: Musculoskeletal Imaging . Mosby, 2001.
- Levesque J, et al. A Clinical Guide to Primary Bone Tumors . Lippincott Williams & Wilkins, 1998.
- Written by radiologists, pathologists, and orthopods from Mt. Sinai. A good approach to the often confusing topic of MSK oncology.
- Resnick D. Bone and Joint Imaging, 2nd ed . Saunders, 1996.
- this is the 1200 page "baby" (as opposed to the 6 volume set). Good for reference purposes.
- Greenspan, A. Orthopedic Radiology: A Practical Approach, 3rd ed . Lippincott Williams & Wilkins, 2000.
- Reference book. You have to understand some orthopedics if you are going to understand MSK radiology.
- Berquist TH. MRI of the Musculoskeletal System, 4th ed . Lippincott Williams & Wilkins, 2001.
- Kaplan PA, Helms, CA, et al. Musculoskeletal MRI. Saunders, 2001.
- Rogers LF. Radiology of Skeletal Trauma, 3rd ed . Churchill Livingstone, 2002.
- Stoller DW. Magnetic Resonance Imaging in Orthopaedics and Sports Medicine, 2nd ed. Lippincott Williams & Wilkins, 1997. - Reference .
- Freiberger RH, and Kaye JJ, Appleton-Century-Crofts, Arthrography; 1979 out of print, but the only arthrogram book that I know of, find it in the department.
- Keats TE, A Normal Roentgen Variants That May Simulate Disease; Mosby, 2006.
- Keats TE, andSmith TH, An Atlas of Normal Developmental Roentgen Anatomy YBMP, 1977
- Keats TE., Atlas of Roentgenographic Measurement ,YBMP, 2001.
- Kaplan, Dussault, Helms, Anderson, Major, Musculskeletal MRI: *Reference Text
- Goodman LR. Felson's Principles of Chest Roentgenology: A Programmed Text, 2nd ed. Saunders, 1999
- Read this once on or before the first day of your first chest rotation.
- McLoud TC. Thoracic Radiology: the Requisites . Mosby, 1998.
- Not the best book, but a good start.
- Boiselle PM, McLoud TC. Case Review: Thoracic Imaging. Mosby, 2001.
- The weakest of the case reviews, but still worth having/reading.
- Armstrong P, Wilson AG, Dee P, Hansell DM. Imaging of Diseases of the Chest, 2nd ed. Yearbook, 1995.
- Comprehensive text on thoracic imaging.
- Webb WR, Muller NL, Naidich DP. High-Resolution CT of the Lung, 2nd ed. Lippincott Williams & Wilkins, 2001.
- These guys are the gurus of HRCT. This is "the" book on the topic with great pictures. For reading as a senior resident.
- Fraser RS, Colman N, Muller N, Pare PD. Synopsis of Diseases of the Chest, 3rd ed. Saunders, 2005.
- Muller, Silva. Imaging of the Chest, 2-Volume Set: Expert Radiology Series. 1st ed. 2008. Saunders
- ACR Learning File online
- Webb, WR, Brant WE, Helms CA. Fundamentals of Body CT , 2nd ed. Saunders, 1998.
- A good start. Lee JKT, Sagel SS, Stanley RJ, Heiken JP.
- Computed Tomography with MRI Correlation, 3rd ed.
- Hard for CT books to keep up with the rapidly changing topic. That said - the anatomy and pathology do not change too often so this is a reasonable resource. Do not buy it but maybe read some of it.
- Fishman EK, Jeffrey Jr RB. Spiral CT: Principles, Techniques and Clinical Applications. Lippincott-Raven, 1998.
- Fishman is the guru of MDCT.
- Lee JKT, Sagel SS, Stanley RJ, Heiken JP. Computed Body Tomography with MRI Correlation.
- Federle, Jeffrey, Desser, 1st ed, Diagnostic Imaging**, Salt Lake City, Utah 2004
- Case Review Series by Mosby
- Genitourinary Imaging
- Abdominal Imaging
- Abloros, Koenraad Mortele, Sylvester Lee, Vincent Pelsser, CT and MRI of the abdomen and pelvis: A teaching file
- Haaga, Lanzieri, Gilkeson; CT and MR Imaging of the Whole Body 4th Edition (December 2002).
- Multimedia - ACR Gastrointestinal CD-ROM (2nd Edition).
- Harris JH. Radiology of Emergency Medicine, 4th ed. Lippincott William & Wilkins, 1999.
- Stern EJ. Trauma Radiology Companion. Lippincott - Raven, 1997
- R. Brooke Jeffrey; Diagnostic Imaging: Emergency; Amirsys 2007.
- Jorge A Soto, Brian Lucey; Emergency Radiology: The Requisites; Mosby; 2009.
- William E Brant; Clyde A Helms; Fundamentals of Diagnostic Radiology; Lippincott Williams & Wilkins; 3 edition, 2006.
- Schmit, GD. Mayo Clinic Gastrointestinal Imaging Review. Informa Healthcare, 2005.
– Excellent review, many rave about this book.
- Meyers MA. Dynamic Radiology of the Abdomen: Normal and Pathologic Anatomy, 5th ed. Springer, 2000 .
- A must read. The standard in terms of peritoneal and retroperitoneal anatomy.
- Feczko PJ, Halpert RD . Case Review: Gastrointestinal Imaging. Mosby, 2000.
- Laufer I, Levine M, Lavine MS . Double Contrast Gastrointestinal Radiology, 2nd ed. Saunders, 1992.
- Great sections on principles and techniques of double contrast GI radiology. Good pictures.
- Eisenberg RL. Gastrointestinal Radiology Companion: Imaging Fundamentals. Lippincott Williams & Wilkins, 1999.
- Some residents find this very useful.
- Eisenberg RL. Gastrointestinal Radiology: A Pattern Approach, 2nd ed. Lippincott, 1996.
- Halpert RD, Goodman P. Gastrointestinal Radiology: The Requisites. Mosby, 1993.
- A little old, a little superficial and a little inaccurate. Read at your own risk.
- Richard M. Gore, Marc S. Levine ,Textbook of Gastrointestinal Radiology.. Saunders. 3 ed 2007
- Davis M, Houston JD, Fundamentals of Gastrointestinal Radiology, W.B. Saunders Co., 2002.
- Halpert RD, Feczko PJ ,Gastrointestinal Radiology: The Requisites, 3rd Edition., Mosby, 2006.
- Margulis and Burhenne:- Alimentary Tract Radiology, Synopsis (REF) WI 141 M33 1994
- ACR teaching file
- Zagoria RJ, Tung GA. Genitourinary Radiology: The Requisites, 2nd ed. Mosby, 2004.
- A very good overview of the topic.
- Tung GA, Zagoria RJ, Mayo-Smith WW. Case Review: Genitourinary Imaging. Mosby, 2000.
- Davidson AJ, et al. Davidson's Radiology of the Kidney and Genitourinary Tract, 3rd ed. Saunders, 1999.
- A big red reference book. Good approach and good pictures.
- Dunnick NR, Sandler CM, Newhouse JN, Amis Jr. ES. Textbook of Uroradiology, 2nd ed. Lippincott, Williams & Wilkins, 1996.
- Pollack, H. - Clinical Urography (Saunders).
- Rumack, Wilson and Charbonneau - Diagnostic Ultrasound.
- Elkin - Urologic Radiology.
- Lalli - Tailored Urography (Yearbook Medical Publishers, Inc.).
- Davidson - Radiology of the Kidney (Saunders).
- McCallum & Colapinto - Urethrography.
- Rozin, Samuel - Uterosalpingography in Gynecology (Thomas)
- Reeder, M. & Felson, B. - Gamuts in Radiology (Audio Visual Radiology of Cincinnati Inc.).
A.C.R. GU learning file – CD ROM
- Cardenosa G. Breast Imaging (core curriculum series). Lippincott, Williams & Wilkins, 2004
- Excellent. All you need.
- Cardenosa G. Breast Imaging Companion . Lippincott Williams & Wilkins, 1997.
- Kopans DB. Breast Imaging, 2nd ed. Lippincott-Raven, 1998.
- Siegelman ES. Body MRI. Saunders 2005.
– Has a good breast MR chapter.
- American College of Radiology; Breast Imaging Reporting and Data System® (BI-RADS®) Atlas. 2007.
- Tabar and Dean,Teaching Atlas of Mammography,
- ACR Diseases of the Breast:Test & Syllabus, (Second series - No. 36)Feig, Kalisher, Libshitz,Et alCalL number WN 200P941993
- A Thomas Stavros et al, Breast Ultrasound
- Elisabeth Morris et al, Breast MRI: Diagnosis and Intervention
- Grossman RI, Youssem DM. Neuroradiology: The Requisites, 2nd ed. Mosby, 2003.
- Probably the best single reference. This and the 3 case reviews will get you through Neuro. Some people do not like this book because authors waste space with jokes and weird poems.
- Bowen BC. Case Review: Spine Imaging. Mosby 2001.
- Yousem DM. Case Review: Head and Neck Imaging. Mosby 1998.
- Loevner LA. Case Review: Brain Imaging. Mosby 1999.
- Osborn AG. Diagnostic Neuroradiology. Mosby, 1994.
- An oldie, but a goodie. Getting increasingly dated as time goes on and unfortunately, no new edition will be written. Excellent chapter on vascular anatomy and disease and also appearance of blood on MRI.
- Castillo M. Neuroradiology Companion: Methods Guidelines and Imaging Fundamentals, 2nd ed. Lippincott-Raven, 1999.
- Harnsberger HR. Handbook of Head and Neck Imaging, 2nd ed. Mosby 1995
- Good for 4th year head and neck rotation
- Pearse Morris. Practical Neurangiography. Lippincott Williams & Wilkins, 2nd ed. 2006.Ann
- Osborn. Diagnostic Neuroradiology.
- Scott W. Atlas. Magnetic Resonance Imaging of the Brain and Spine. Lippincott Williams & Wilkins, 4th ed. 2008.
- Anne Osborn, Introduction to Cerebral Angiography. 1991, Harper & Row.
- Alisa Gean, Imaging of Head Trauma. , 1994 Press
- Imaging of the Pediatric Head, Neck and Spine. M Castillo et al, 1996, Lippincott-Raven Press.
- . AJ Barkovich, Pediatric Neuroimaging ,995, 2nd Edition Raven Press
- Nash Harwood, CR. Fitz, Neuroradiology in Infants and Children. 1976, Mosby
- Thrall JH, Ziessman HA. Nuclear Medicine: The Requisites. Mosby, 1995.
- This and the case review are probably all you'll ever need unless you do a nukes fellowship.
- Zeissman HA, Rehm P. Case Review: Nuclear Medicine. Mosby 2002.
- Williams SC. Nuclear Medicine on the Internet. Accessible via www.auntminnie.com.
- A really good secondary resource, especially since it's available anywhere you're connected to the internet. Great material on PET imaging.
- Mettler FA, Guiberteau MJ. Essentials of Nuclear Medicine Imaging, 4th ed. Saunders, 1998.
- Much more than you need as a resident. A good reference book.
- Donnelly LF. Fundamentals of Pediatric Radiology. Saunders, 2001.
- Small soft cover covers the basics and is a reasonably quick read.
- Blickman JG. Pediatric Radiology: The Requisites, 2nd ed. Mosby, 1997.
- Between the above 2 you really get all you need, however neither are very good.
- Swischuk LE. Imaging of the Newborn, Infant, and Young Child, 4th ed. Lippincott, Williams & Wilkins, 1997. - Reference book.
- Kuhn JP, Slovis TL, Haller JO. Caffey's Pediatric Diagnostic Imaging,10th ed. Mosby, 2003.
- Reference book. No need to buy it because there are multiple copies available to use while at Sick Kids
- Donald R. Kirks. Practical Pediatric Imaging: Diagnostic Radiology of Infants and Children. 3rd ed. Lippincott Williams & Wilkins. 1997.
- Marilyn J. Seigal. Pediatric Sonography. 3nd ed. Lippincott Williams & Wilkins. 2010.
- Frederic N. Silverman. Caffey's Pediatric X-ray Diagnosis: An Integrated Imaging Approach. Mosby. 1992.
- A. James Barkovich. Pediatric Neuroimaging. Lippincott Williams & Wilkins. 2005
- Kurtz A, Middleton W. Ultrasound: The Requisites. Mosby, 1996.
- Good start for first year rotation. Also has good chapter on OB ultrasound.
- Middleton WD . Case Review: General and Vascular Ultrasound. Mosby, 2002.
- Johnson PT, Kurtz AB. Case Review: Obstetric and Gynecologic Ultrasound. Mosby, 2001.
- Rumack CM, Wilson SR, Charboneau JW. Diagnostic Ultrasound, 3rd ed. Mosby, 2004.
- Sauerbrei E, Nguyen KT, Nolan RL. A Practical Guide to Ultrasound in Obstetrics and Gynecology, 2nd ed. Lippincott Williams & Wilkins, 1998.
- ACR Teaching files on CD ROM,
- Kaufman JA, Lee MJ. Vascular and Interventional Radiology: The Requisites. Mosby, 2003.
- Very good and comprehensive book.
- Vedantham S, Gould J. Case Review: Vascular and Interventional Imaging. Mosby, 2004.
- Great case review.
- Kandarpa K, Aruny JE. Handbook of Interventional Radiologic Procedures, 3rd ed. Lippincott, Williams & Wilkins, 2002.
- Good overview of technical aspects of interventional procedures. Definitely borrow it if you can, and buy it if you plan to do interventional radiology in fellowship or practice.
- Valji K. Vascular and Interventional Radiology. Saunders, 1999.
- Comprehensive, but more detail than you need during residency.
- LaBerge JM. Interventional Radiology Essentials. Lippincott, Williams & Wilkins, 2000.
- Mediocre. Stick with the requisites. Some people love this but you would know better.
- Funaki. Teaching Atlas of Vascular & Non-Vascular Interventional Radiology. Thieme Medical Publishers. 2007.
- Baum S. Pentecost M. Abrams’ Angiography: Interventional Radiology 2nd edition, Lippincott William and Wilkins. 2006 ISBN 0781740894
- Siegelman ES. Body MRI. Saunders 2005.
- Great book for 4th year body MRI rotation(s).
- Richard C. Semelka.Abdominal-Pelvic MRI. Wiley. 3rd ed. 2009.
- Clinical Magnetic Resonance Imaging. Edelman, Hesselink, Zlatkin latest edition Saunders.
- Stephen W. Miller, Suhny Abbara. Cardiac Radiology: The Requisites. Mosby. 3rd ed. 2009.
- Shankhar, Khan, Cheung. Head & Neck Imaging.
- Harnsberger. Handbook of Head & Neck Imaging.
- Reference: Som, Curtin. Head & Neck Imaging
- Som & Bergeron. Imaging of the head and neck
- Harnsberger, Handbook in Radiology: Head and Neck Imaging.2nd Edition, Radiology Clinics of North America.
- G. Dodd and B. Jing ,Radiology of the Nose, Paranasal Sinuses and Nasopharyns. .
- ACR online lectures.
- Callen.,Ultrasonography in Obstetrics and Gynecology. A Saunders, 5th ed. 2007
- Rumack & Wilson.,Diagnostic Ultrasound, Vol II.
- Doubilet, Benson. Atlas of Ultrasound in Obstetrics and Gynecology,Lippincott Williams & Wilkins. 2nd ed. 2003
- Reuter, Babagbemi. Obstetric and Gynecologic Ultrasound: A Case Review Series. Mosby. 2nd ed. 2006.