MRI CALL CHECKLIST
1. Do you have a requisition?
Before calling the MR technologist you should have a properly filled out requisition. Do not approve an MRI without a complete requisition.
2. Is the patient location clearly identified on the requisition?
If the patient is in the hospital make sure you know what floor or service. If the patient is a referral you need to find out how they will get here and when.
3. Is the patient competent to be screened?
If not, is there a Power of Attorney or substitute decision maker that can answer the MR screening questions
4. Is the patient intubated?
If yes, has the Respiratory Therapist been contacted and available to accompany the patient?
5. Does the patient require a nurse to be present?
6. Does the patient have any metal or electronic implants?
If yes, the service needs to provide the type, location, manufacturer and age of implant. If this information is not available, the study will not be performed.
7. Does the patient require foreign body orbit x-rays?
If yes, the orbit films need to be ordered and reviewed, or alternatively, review of a recent CT head
8. Is the patient capable of holding still for the duration of the MRI scan?
The service must provide proper sedation and/or pain management.